How to Purchase
A summary of how to acquire and/or pay for the most commonly ordered items is located on the Emory Commodity Matrix. The chart references three methods of obtaining goods and services and also advises when direct billing and centrally billed to Emory should be used for certain commodities.
- Emory Express - Use this method to create a purchase order or to pay a company. Dependent upon your needs, you may be required to place a requisition in our procurement tool, Emory Express. In order to use Emory Express you must be approved for access by your department and attend a two-hour training session. For details on training sessions, view Emory Express Training.
- Check Request Form - Login to Emory Express and use this form for all requests for payments to suppliers - not individuals. Attach the supplier invoice with number to the form. This form allows you to select the "Remit to Address" for your payment. Review the Check Request Quick Guide instructions.
- Department of Homeland Security Form - Login to Emory Express and use this form to request checks to be sent to the Department of Homeland Security.
- Payment Request - To pay an individual, non-companies, enter your Payment Requests into Compass, Emory's financial system, for services rendered, e.g., payments to study participants, honoraria and awards for non-employees, musicians/consultants/professional services and petty cash replenishment.
- Corporate Card - preferred payment method for local business expenses and travel-related charges, such as hotel, airfare, and rental car costs. Learn more.
- Purchasing Card (PCard) - authorized purchases of goods or services of $1,499 and less. Charges on the PCard must be business and department/unit related expenses only. Note: The PCard can be used for re-occurring department expenses, e.g., business cell phones and smart phones (non-Verizon), coffee, water and tea service for department, courier service, document retention, and more. For additional information, visit this link.
Important Note: Emory University will remit payment to all Payees via Automated Clearing House (ACH) funds transfer. Exceptions include the following:
• Charitable Organizations
• Legal Fees
• Government Agencies
• Emory Investment Management-related cash flows
• Government Agencies
• Internationally based Individuals or Suppliers
- Submit Expense Reports for Corporate Card charges - review the job aids for "Travel and Expense." Each charge must be assigned to an expense report, so that it can be reimbursed directly to Visa. To review transactions and access your statements, login to PaymentNet.
- Purchasing Card charges - Payment Net is the online Visa P-Card software provided by J.P. Morgan to document, allocate and approve pcard transactions.
- Note: The Emory Organization ID for PaymentNet is "EMUCARD"